Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Hillary paradox

I've been thinking about Hillary Clinton's probable Presidential run recently. The reason I've been obsessing on it is that since she doesn't have a chance, I believe she'll be too much of a drag on the Democrats and their prospects in 2008.

I don't think she can win the party's nomination, and the paradox goes like this: As a woman, Hillary is automatically positioned to get solid feminist and liberal Democratic support, but this block won't vote for her because she's too conservative; therefore, she must rely on moderate and independent support, but she won't find it there, because these voters won't vote for a woman candidate.

Personally, I'd be happy to vote for a woman, but what's more important to me is that a progressive, liberal Democrat win the nomination, and that's who I'll be voting for.

Anyway, you heard it here first: she doesn't have a chance (at least I hope she doesn't have a chance) to get the democratic nomination because she is too moderate/conservative for anyone who would vote for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home